Hello! I had hoped to post this on Wednesday and start a regular posting of “Wanderlust Wednesdays” (which fits perfectly with today’s Blogging101 task!) But alas, a migraine/whatever plague is going around the school knocked me out for a few days. Thanks to a heavy amount of medication and hours of glorious sleep, I am functioning once again!
About Wanderlust Wednesdays: Every other Wednesday I am going to be posting about the places I’m dreaming of, places I’ve been, maybe blog posts that have inspired me, and places you think I should check out!
In case you haven’t heard, I’M GOING TO IRELAND IN MARCH!! I can’t even begin to describe how freakin’ excited I am. To pump myself up I’ve thought about what 10 things I’m really looking forward to.
- Meeting locals and sharing a drink in a pub. I’m probably looking forward to this the most. When I sat down to write this list, it was the first thing I thought to write down. Ireland is often referred to as one of the friendliest countries in the world, so you’re bound to run into someone up for a chat!
- The Cliffs of Moher. If you haven’t seen or heard of the Cliffs of Moher you should google it. They are gorgeous. I’m a sucker for great landscapes, and I have a feeling that I won’t be disappointed with this one!
- The St. Patrick’s Day Parade. So I’m going to be in Dublin for St. Patrick’s Day, insane, I know. Along with day drinking I plan on checking out the annual festival. This year’s parade theme has to do with exploring the present-day Ireland. There are also comedians, walking tours, beer & food markets, and art shows. Needless to say, it’s looking to be one helluva jam packed day!
- Full Irish Breakfast. Bacon, sausage, black and white puddings, eggs, veggies, and potato all fried in creamy butter. A generous amount of homemade bread, breakfast tea and orange juice. (Have I mentioned my love affair with food yet?) I fully intend on this being my hangover cure the day after St. Patrick’s, which also happens to be my birthday! I mean, go big or go home right?
- Galway. Artsy and bohemian with a great music scene and more restaurants per capita than any other Irish city. Do I need to say any more? Not to mention it’s a hop, skip and a jump away from the Aran Islands.
- Guinness Storehouse and the Old Jameson Distillery. I am not a fan of Guinness, it’s just not my preferred type of beer, BUT when in Rome right? (…or Dublin, I guess?) You can’t pass up the opportunity to tour the Storehouse, sample the freshest Guinness and check out 360 views of Dublin in their rooftop Gravity Bar. On the topic of alcohol, I will definitely be checking out the Old Jameson Distillery and taking part in a whiskey tasting!
- The Ring of Kerry. Looking forward to driving the 112 miles around the Iveragh Peninsula and catching amazing views. Again, landscape lover here guys. As well as a visit to Bog Village to experience 19th-century rural Irish life.
- Chester Beatty Library. You also can’t beat a great library or museum. Chester Beatty was this huge collector, like huge. I mean he literally had to buy an entire building to store his art and text collections. When he died he left the building and it’s contents to the public.
- Trinity College. As much as I am a sucker for landscapes and museums, I also love a gorgeous college campus. Oh, and they happen to have a pretty impressive library with the Book of Kells Exhibit.
- Cute Irish Boys. I know right?! What kind of single twenty-something female would I be if I wasn’t looking forward to this? Yes, I know that the accent will probably heighten the attractiveness of pretty much anyone I meet over there, but I don’t care. I’m ready to talk, dance and share a drink with the hotties of Ireland!
Ever been to Ireland? Any tips for this first timer? Feel free to leave suggestions for a Wanderlust Wednesday in the comments!